Our review went well this past Friday, as we talked with our reviewers about the many issues we’ve been dealing with and received feedback on what to address moving forward. We presented a TON of information, and a common criticism on our presentation was on the lack of contextual information surrounding the site. While we did mention what was around the site, it’s a different thing to show these conditions- and that’s something we didn’t do as well as we would’ve hoped. Another issue that came up was the lack of development along the east side of the site (First Street), something we have discussed as being a weak point up until this point and we need to address. With the criticism, we also received praise for some of the decisions we made involving the alleyway and the social club. Excited to see where these spaces will go, we are looking to really pushing the design of the architecture in these spaces over the next few weeks.
What we’re going to do next:
- Address the context of the site- show what we are dealing with around the site in our rendering and axonometric drawings.
- Continue to push the design of the Victory social club
- Treatment of the transformer- work to celebrate this better
- Better represent the atmosphere of the alleyway through renderings showing inhabitants and design
- Address First Street along the detention center- developing a buffer area for residents and the unpleasant design of the detention center
- Overall: pushing the designs of each of these spaces to develop the architecture and experiences in these spaces
What's up next…
On Monday, we will be presenting to the dean of the college of design to get another set of eyes on our work. After that, it’s a week of work, our spring break, and then a week of charettes before we come upon our next major review on March 30.